Sunday, March 25, 2007

Fond Memories

(Warning: This is a long post...sorry but I felt the need to put it out here....)

I just read a fellow runner's blog for the first time and saw where he posted about an event that he is working on with his senior daughter, a Daughter/Dad dance event that sounds mysteriously like a Daughter/Dad event that I participated in with my daughter when she was a high school Senior Drill Team member. What great memories his post brought back for me, especially as April is fast approaching.

What makes this event truly funny is that my wife and I attended my daughter's "Spring Fling" as I believe it was called when she was a Junior and saw that the "senior Dads" had several routines on stage with their daughters. That year they wore tuxedos and it was very formal.

The following year the dress was much more casual and the theme was Las Vegas/Elvis. We (the Dads) were dressed in black shoes, white socks, black pants, white t-shirt, and a satin black jacket that had "Elvis" across the back in glitterly lettering.

What makes this event so memorable for me was that in addition to learning her many routines, my daughter also took it upon herself to learn the Dad's routines as well. See I was a long distance Dad, living about 5 hours away. She came out to our home two weekends before the week of the big performances and taught me the dance routines that I would need to know. We spent all day Saturday from 7 am to 11 pm working on my routines. She was truly awesome and amazing that she could teach me enough to get me through the routines. See, I'm a Dad with no sense of music, unable to keep a beat, and never learned to dance.

The week of the big performances (there were 3 plus a parents night only dress rehearsal) I took vacation and finally got to practice with the other Dads. They all knew their places on the floor and that was something else that I had to learn.

Well it went off like clockwork and I didn't miss too many steps. I felt so honored to dance with my daughter that week. I know she thinks otherwise, but for this Dad she was the star of the entire performance. A very special time for me.

April is a truly special month, it is my birthday for starters, it is also the month for Aggie Muster (my birthday for any other fellow Aggies), the month I danced with my darling daughter, the month that God gave me a second chance by guiding me through my quadruple bypass surgery in 2005, AND in 2007 it will be the month of first half-marathon. OH What a month of celebrations.

3 comments:

Faithful Soles said...

Thanks for the post about my Father/Daughter dance on my blog, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading yours as well. We are truly blessed to be able to have such great young ladies in our lives. After reading your post, I have a request. We have quite a number of members and visitors that have gone through and/or are going through major operations dealing with various types of cancer, major operations, etc. Have you written any type of story about your bypass surgery and how it has inspired your running? If you have (or have not, you should), please send it to me with a picture so I can use it as a "Story of the Week" at some point in the future. You have no idea how many lives you can touch. Also, I would appreciate it if you would link your blog to our Blog Database by going to http://www.faithfulsoles.com/fsblogregister.htm

One final request, please take a moment to read about the PR10K (Promote Running for 10,000 Kids) program and please give thought to becoming a member to help support the program. The link is http://www.faithfulsoles.com/fsPR10Kin5minutes.htm

Thanks and I look forward to reading more in your blog about your half-marathon training.

Phil said...

Randy .. the HR values I post are average. My HRmax is 174, therefore, 142 is is 82% HRmax. I'd suggest you figure out your actual HRmax that try to keep your general aerobic runs somewhere between 75% and 80%.

Phil

J~Mom said...

Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing!