Saturday, March 31, 2007

Run the Boulevard "and the HILLS" 5k

Well another 5k run is behind me, oh boy am I glad. This one seemed to be an innocent run but the hills seemed like they were transplanted Rocky Mountains. Maybe it was just the cold and windy weather(45 F and 20 mph wind at times). The start of the race we were all happy to be out for a run and excited to be sharing time with friends and making new friends as well. It was great to finally meet you in person Lissa!
This run was different than others that I've done. Early on, before we had even gone a mile I seemed to be struggling to breathe at times. At the 1/2 mile point I even considered stopping and retuning to the starting point, but I kept on. My first mile was still a bit too fast, 9:15 I believe. I've got to learn to let the 19 and 20 year olds take the lead and just listen to my body and run to have fun and finish the race.
I crossed the finish line today in 36:09, not a great time and no where near my best. But I did finish, so I'm happy. There will be other days for besting personal marks.
I'm not too far from the finish in this pic and I struggled to get there. There was yet another slight incline here to get to the finish. When I could see the clock and realized I would be over 36 minutes I could feel that I gave up just slightly.

Tomorrow there is a training run on the course for the OKC Marathon and Half Marathon. I'm planning on running and seeing how much of the half marathon course I can manage. Will give an update after that.




No comments: